Monday, February 15, 2010

Boarding Trip Attempt 1

Kristin invited us to go snowboarding with her on a Monday which is her day off. My mom was willing to take my kids but I wasn't sure if I would be able to find a substitute to take my reading groups. I made a call and was able to get someone. I got all of our stuff together and the next morning I hurried and got the kids ready, drop Autumn off to school and the kids at my mom's. We picked up Kristin at her apartment and headed to Beaver Mountain. I haven't boarded since Brooklyn was a baby. I wasn't sure how well I would do after 5 years. We got up to the mountain and hung out in the patrol lodge 'till we were all ready. The bonus of having your dad on the ski patrol is getting free tickets. (Which I was really grateful that we didn't spend an arm and a leg for, I'll explain later)
We hop onto the Gentle Ben ski lift and were heading up for our first run. Kristin snapped a few pics of us on the lift. Don't ask why Brian is wearing a ball cap over his ski hat and then wearing his sweater hood on top of that. He can be kind of a dork sometimes.
We start heading down the hill and Kristin seemed to end up on her butt a lot. So we took some time to snap some pictures while we were down on the ground. Kristin can be a dork too but we still love her!!
As we were taking some pictures Brian headed for a jump. It ended up being tons of powder and ended up face planting in the snow. He disappeared completely!! It was so funny to watch him emerge from the powder with snow packed between his hat and goggles!!

So we continue down Gentle Ben (keep in mind we haven't gone down the steeper section of the run). As we a going down, Kristin ends up falling on her butt and kind of twisted her wrist. We stopped and took a little break. I asked if she was okay. She said she was and we continued down the hill. We headed towards the new lift ski area because I have never been over there. There was a little hill you have to go up before dropping down to the lift. I needed to get a good running start at it because I didn't want to have to hop up the hill. I take off, but noticed Kristin go down at the entrance of the hill. I wait for everyone to catch up. Kristin had once again landed on her wrist and it was hurting.

We ride the lift up to the top. Get buckled back into our boards when the ski patrol ride by. We ask if they have anything she could wrap her wrist in so she wouldn't continue to hurt it. AND THEN IT STARTS!!!
The Ski patrol start checking her wrist to see where it is hurt. They decide that it needs to be put in a metal brace to keep it from moving and to take her down the hill to have a better look.

So they load her up into the toboggan. Talk about closterphobic!! (I don't know how to spell that)


So, there is Kristin all covered up inside the ski patrol toboggan. Brian was taking pics and thought it would be funny if I pointed at her and smiled!! It was quite a sight seeing them take off down the hill with her.

SO, They get her to the bottom of the hill and we end up back in the ski patrol lodge doing an accident report. Trying to explain where each event happened. The ski patrolmen think her wrist could possibly be broke and we should take her down to have it x-rayed before it swells. Needless to say, we took one run down the mountain and then had to head home (which explains why I was grateful that we didn't pay for tickets to make only 1 run).

After Kristin being checked out at InstaCare, we found out that her wrist was only sprained :(

So we plan ANOTHER trip to go the Monday after the Superbowl. I get a substitute and was ready to go. But of course something else has to go wrong to foil my plans. I ended up really sick that day and Brian got it that night!! Oh well!! We will try again and maybe that time we will actually be able to spend some time on the mountain!

No comments:

Post a Comment